The most recent exonerees are Carl Dausch on June 12, 2014
and brothers Henry McCollum (No. 146) and Leon Brown (No. 147) on September 2, 2014.
List of Exonerees Since 1973 Description of each exoneration available by clicking the names on the list. Includes criteria for inclusion on list.
Innocence Database Searchable database of all exonerations since 1973 - allows you to search and sort for cases by year, state, race, and other variables. Description of each exoneration also available here by clicking the names on the list.
News and Developments - Current Year
News and Developments - Previous Years
Further Innocence Information:
- Released From Death Row (Partial Innocence)
- Executed Despite Doubts About Guilt
- Causes of Wrongful Convictions
- National Registry of Exonerations - provides detailed information about all known exonerations (for all crimes, not just death penalty crimes) in the United States since 1989 - cases in which a person was convicted of a crime and later cleared of all the charges.
- Pardon of the Scottsboro Boys-2013
- DPIC's Summary of the Innocence Protection Act of 2004
- List of Exonerations in German: Unschuldige und ihre Faelle in Kuerze
To contact individuals who have been exonerated from death row, visit
For Information about Innocence Projects across the country, visit
Graph as of Mar. 12, 2014
As of October 30, 2014 there have been 147 exonerations in 26 different States.
To find the number of exonerations in any single year, use the innocence database.
Last Updated Oct. 30, 2014