- Educational Curricula
- Executions Database
- Law Review
- New Voices
- Public Opinion
- Related Web Sites
- State by State Database
- State Information
- Student Resources
- Testimony, Resolutions, Statements & Speeches
- Weekly Newsletter
- Death Penalty Quiz
- More Resources
Innocence and the Death Penalty
The total number of exonerations is 155, with the most recent being Larry Lee on June 8, 2015
List of Exonerees Since 1973 Description of each exoneration available by clicking the names on the list. Includes criteria for inclusion on list.
Innocence Database Searchable database of all exonerations since 1973 - allows you to search and sort for cases by year, state, race, and other variables. Description of each exoneration also available here by clicking the names on the list.
News and Developments - Current Year
News and Developments - Previous Years
Further Innocence Information:
- Released From Death Row (Partial Innocence)
- Executed Despite Doubts About Guilt
- Causes of Wrongful Convictions
- Pardon of the Scottsboro Boys-2013
- DPIC's Summary of the Innocence Protection Act of 2004
- List of Exonerations in German: Unschuldige und ihre Faelle in Kuerze
To contact individuals who have been exonerated from death row, visit
For Information about Innocence Projects across the country, visit
Graph as of July 22, 2015
As of June 8, 2015 there have been 155 exonerations in 26 different States.
|Louisiana||10||Alabama||6||New Mexico||4||South Carolina||2||Nevada||1|
To find the number of exonerations in any single year, use the innocence database.
Last Updated July 22, 2015